‘Tremendous gusto of soul and gaiety of spirit’
‘Amber Riley is an absolute dazzler as Effie’
‘this supremely confident production provides, to be sure, a great night out’
Amber Riley will be on contractual annual leave on the following dates:
25th and 26th April 2017, 30th and 31st May 2017, 29th and 30th June 2017, 1st, 4th and 5th July 2017, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th August 2017, 26th and 27th September 2017, 13th, 14th and 17th October 2017.
The producers cannot guarantee the appearance of any particular artist(s). This is subject to change and may be affected by holiday, illness, or events beyond the producers’ control.
Broadway sensation Dreamgirls dazzles at the Savoy Theatre London, starring diva songstress Amber Riley from hit US series Glee. Dreamgirls officially opened at the theatre on December 14th and plays an extended season until October 2017.
Set in 1960’s America, throughout the dawning era of R&B, Dreamgirls follows a trio of Chicago girls called “The Dreams”, who sing in various competitions. Soon, they are spotted by ex-car salesman Curtis Taylor, who wants to be their manager. Enjoying initial success, the girls soon experience the downfalls of fame, when Curtis tries to replace Effie with the more appealing Deena as lead singer. A test of love, friendship and success, Dreamgirls is the popular musical which is said to be loosely based on Diana Ross and The Supremes.
Opening on Broadway in 1981, Dreamgirls scooped a record six Tony Awards and five Drama Desk Awards, including Best Book of a Musical and Best Performance of a Leading Actress in a Musical for Jennifer Holliday’s portrayal of Effie White. In 2006, the musical was adapted into a popular film starring Beyoncé Knowles as Deena and Jennifer Hudson as Effie, earning Judson an Academy Award for her performance. Now, Riley steps into the iconic roles’ shoes, set to wow audiences in her West End debut.
Dreamgirls includes iconic musical numbers such as “I Am Changing”, “And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going”, “Dreamgirls”, “Listen” and “One Night Only.” Fans of classic R&B and soul music will absolutely love the powerhouse vocals displayed in this show, along with the heart-wrenching story and breath-taking choreography. Don’t miss out on Dreamgirls, playing at London’s Savoy Theatre!
Cast and Creative
Dreamgirls is directed by prolific Tony and Olivier Award-winning Broadway director Casey Nicholaw, whose current hit shows include The Book of Mormon and Aladdin. Produced by Sonia Friedman, Dreamgirls features a book and lyrics by Tom Eyen and music by Henry Krieger. Original choreography from A Chorus Line co-creator Michael Bennett ensures that the musical will keep a vast proportion of the show’s original dance moves.
Glee star Amber Riley, who made her name playing the feisty Mercedes Jones in the hit US series, stars as diva Effie White, with Broadway star Marisha Wallace and The X Factor contestant Karen Mav alternating the role of Effie.
The Dreams are completed with Broadway’s Asmeret Ghebremichael as Lorrell Robinson and Liisi LaFontaine (Rent) as Deena Jones. Further casting includes Nicholas Bailey (EastEnders) as Marty, Adam J. Bernard as Jimmy Early, Tyrone Huntley as C.C. White and Joe Aaron Reid (In the Heights) as Curtis Taylor Jr.
Additional casting includes Jocasta Almgill, Callum Aylott, Hugo Batista, Samara Casteallo, Chloe Chambers, Carly Mercedes Dyer, Joelle Dyson, Kimmy Edwards, Candace Furbert, Nathan Graham, Ashley Luke Lloyd, Gabriel Mokake, Abiola Ogunbiyi, Sean Parkins, Kirk Patterson, Ryan Reid, Rohan Richards, Noel Samuels, Durone Stokes and Tosh Wanogho-Maud.
- “I’m Lookin’ for Something” – The Stepp Sisters, Marty, and Company
- “Goin’ Downtown” – Little Albert & the Tru-Tones
- “Takin’ the Long Way Home” – Tiny Joe Dixon
- “Move (You’re Steppin’ on My Heart)” – Effie, Deena, and Lorrell
- “Fake Your Way to the Top” – Jimmy, Effie, Deena, and Lorrell
- “Cadillac Car” – Curtis, Jimmy, C.C., and Marty, Effie, Deena, and Lorrell
- “Cadillac Car (On the Road)” – Company
- “Cadillac Car (In the Recording Studio)” – Jimmy, Effie, Deena, and Lorrell
- “Cadillac Car (Reprise)” – Dave and the Sweethearts
- “Steppin’ to the Bad Side” – Curtis, Jimmy, C.C., Wayne, Lorrell, Effie, Deena, and Company
- “Party, Party” – Effie, Curtis, Jimmy, Lorrell, and Company
- “I Want You Baby” – Jimmy, Effie, Deena, and Lorrell
- “Family” – Effie, C.C., Jimmy, Lorrell, Curtis, and Deena
- “Dreamgirls” – Deena, Lorrell, and Effie
- “Press Conference” – Deena, Curtis, and Company
- “Only the Beginning” – Curtis and Effie
- “Heavy” – Deena, Lorrell, Effie, and Curtis
- “Drivin’ Down the Strip” – Jimmy
- “It’s All Over” – Effie, Curtis, C.C., Deena, Lorrell, Jimmy, and Michelle
- “And I Am Telling You” – Effie
- “Love Love Me Baby” – Deena, Lorrell, and Michelle
- “Act II Opening” – Deena, Lorrell, Michelle, Curtis, C.C., and Jimmy
- “I Am Changing” – Effie
- “One More Picture Please” – Company, Lorrell, and Michelle, C.C., and Curtis
- “When I First Saw You” – Curtis and Deena
- “Got to Be Good Times” – The Five Tuxedos
- “Ain’t No Party” – Lorrell and Jimmy
- “I Meant You No Harm” – Jimmy
- “Quintette” – Lorrell, Deena, C.C., and Michelle
- “The Rap” – Jimmy
- “Firing of Jimmy” – Jimmy, Curtis, Lorrell, and Company
- “I Miss You Old Friend” – Les Styles, Marty, C.C., and Effie
- “One Night Only” – Effie and Company
- “One Night Only (Disco)”– Deena, Lorrell, Michelle, Curtis, and Company
- “I’m Somebody” – Deena, Lorrell, and Michelle
- “Chicago/Faith in Myself” – Effie, C.C., Curtis, Deena, and Marty
- “Listen” – Deena and Effie
- “Hard to Say Goodbye, My Love” – Deena, Lorrell, and Michelle
- “Dreamgirls (Reprise)” – Effie, Deena, Lorrell, and Michelle
Show Lengths and Times
Dreamgirls opens at the Savoy Theatre London on November 19th and is set to run until October 2017. Performances are at 7:30pm every day, excluding Sundays, with matinees on Wednesday and Saturday at 2:30pm.
Please note that Amber Riley will play Effie for 7 out of 8 performances. Currently, alternate will play Wednesday evenings.
Show running time is approximately 2 hours 40 minutes, including an interval.
Suitable for Children?
Dreamgirls may not be suitable for very young children. Please note that the Savoy Theatre will not admit children under the age of 3.
Tickets for Dreamgirls at the Savoy Theatre London are now on sale and you can book them above, by using the search form on the right of the page.
Have you seen Dreamgirls? If so please share your thoughts in the comments section below!